Saturday, May 26, 2012

It's summer time 2012!

Summer is here! I'll take a moment to catch ya'll up on what has been going on craft-wise since I last posted: 
I'm still practicing my bobbin lace. I've worked up a few Torchon edgings, and have been trying out Schneeberger lace too. Below is a torchon edging I worked up for a set of hand towels. Once I complete a decent Schneeberger piece I'll post as well. But it might be a while! :)

 The heavier looking blue thread is called a gimp and contrasts nicely with the white and blue embroidery on the towel. Other components in the lace include tallies and fans. I believe I used size 30 crochet thread in white, and size 10 crochet thread for the blue gimp.

My homemade pretzels. (I consider baking/cooking crafting too). These are plain (salt & butter) and cinnamon sugar varieties. Finally broke down and ordered diastatic malt powder- which gives them a nice malty flavor. So good!
 Tatted squares. The total size of the piece is about 6" x 6". Size 20 thread Lizbeth.

Homemade crunchy sourdough-wheat bread with walnuts and cranberries. Recipe is called "Pain au Levain, Raisins, et Noix"  from Fundamental Techniques of Classic Bread Baking. I used craisins instead of raisins.

Homemade whole wheat banana bread mini loaves
Crocheted food. This was my first go at the amigurumi-style of crocheting objects. I like them! They make nice pin cushions too. Pretty realistic looking eh?
 A crochet hat with fake yarn hair and beads- what more could anyone want! Cap part is made from "Moonlight Mohair," (Lion Brand) a wool, mohair, acrylic blend. I found this pattern in a neat book called 100 Hats to Knit and Crochet by Jean Leinhauser & Rita Weiss. The pattern is called "Cleopatra's Crown."


No comments: