Saturday, November 27, 2010

Return of the Bobbin Lace

A few weeks ago I went to Lace Day w/ the Lacey Ladies of AZ and had a fabulous time! I look forward to this event every year- there are lace lessons, lace vendors and amazing exhibits. Hats made entirely of airy, open lace! Ornate bobbin lace trims that use over 50+ bobbins to make. It's the ultimate inspiration for me. So this year I'm going to start practicing more on my bobbin lace. Here is what I've been doing lately:

Beginner's Pattern: torchon lace ground with fan edge; 9 pairs of bobbins. The brown thing is known as a "sanity saver" a crochet strip made with dc, ch1 that creates little holes for the bobbins to slip into and not move around when you're taking a break.

Size 10 mercerized cotton. Hope to use finer thread as I get better!

So far I have a mix of danish and continental style bobbins. No spangled-beaded ones...yet :)

Finished piece being wet blocked: 7 in long and 1.25 in in width. A good start! Really like this pattern too.

Meanwhile crocheting a baby blanket for a gift. This is my first time working with Sensations rainbow boucle (sold at Joanns). It's 100% acrylic with a mossy texture and very soft. It varigates in color from light green to white. It's an interesting yarn that works for crocheting into big spaces (like granny square patterns), but seems it would be tedious if crocheting into single or double crochet stitches. It's pretty fuzzy, so not easy to see where your hook is going.
Ultimate plan: 20 granny squares will be combined to make a sweet baby blanket.
Has anyone else tried these chocolate covered fruit candies..? Soooo good! You don't feel so guilty because there's fruit inside. heehee. My husbands not a big candy person but even he liked them too.


No comments: