Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Crochet Nylon Net Scrubbie Pattern






Finished crocheting 4 more nylon net scrubbies today! Thought I'd share a pattern for circular scrubbies using double crochet stitches:

Materials: Nylon netting, cut into strips 1.5 inches in width and join. (How to cut and join strips)
Size “J” crochet hook (6.00MM)
Finished size: approx 5.0 inches diameter

Directions – crochet in the round.
ss= slip stitch, dc= double crochet, sts= stitches

R1: Ch2, work 12 dc in 2nd ch from hook, join to first dc with ss. 12 sts.

R2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), dc in same st as ch 3, 2 dc in each st around, join to top of beg ch 3 with ss. 24 sts.

R3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, *1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st* repeat from * to * around. Join to top of beg ch 3 with ss. 36 sts.

R4: Ch 3, dc in same st as ch3, 1 dc in next 2 sts, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 2 sts*, repeat from * to * around. Join to top of ch 3 with ss. 48 sts.

I also have another scrubbie pattern & tutorial here:


*UPDATE 3/30/09* - Got a question? Leave a comment and I will add it to the FAQ's

FAQ'S

Q: Why does my netting tear when I crochet with it?

A: I always try and start with the sturdiest, scratchiest netting I can find. Unfortunately, not all nylon netting has the same feel. Another tip I find is that cutting the nylon "lengthwise straight grain" (see pic) makes for a more sturdy strip, less prone to tearing. Plus- you will get longer strips, which means less tying and joining.













Q: Any tips for seeing the stitches better while working?
A: Crocheting with nylon net is a challenge even for experienced crocheters. You will mostly need to go off of "feel." If you are making a scrubbie out of single crochet stitches, one tip that I can share is to place a safety pin under the both loops of your first sc when beginning a round. This takes the guesswork out of "where" to join when you come to the end of a round.






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the tutorial for making scrubbies and your simple directions, but I am having a major problem: the net keeps breaking. Also, I have trouble seeing the actual stitches. I have lots of crochet experience, but this seems particularly challenging. Any suggestions?

CakesMix said...

Hi there! I've added a FAQ section with answers to your questions. It's at the end of this post.

Hope this helps- good luck and keep crocheting! :)

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with the LENGTHWISE cut, sure it will make longer strips if you buy more than the 74 to 77 inch width, but the strength is in the widthwide cut. You can tear nylon net one way and not the other way - as a test to see which way to cut the strips.

Anonymous said...

I did it width wise and my net kept breaking so I changed to legnth and it worked like a breeze I was so pleased as it drove me nuts breaking

Anonymous said...

Your tutorial for cutting and joining says approximately 3 yards of netting. How many scrubbies did you make with that much netting?

CakesMix said...

If I remember correctly, I think 3 yards of netting yielded about 3-4 scrubbies.

Christina VanEvery said...

As I go along it begins to curl inward...help!

Christina VanEvery said...

Row 3 my scrubbie is curling inward, I am a beginner...help!