Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bobbin Lace and Such!

I have officially jumped into the world of bobbin lace making. Went to a bobbin lace demonstration at the annual "Lace Day" exhibit this past weekend and a girlfriend proposed we try it together. Bam! The ladies at lace day helped us each pick out a foam cookie pillow form, beginners manual, and a set of 12 bobbins.

It seems like constructing your own pillow is the initiation ritual for jumping into the world of bobbin lace. The foam pillow must be covered with felt and then fabric. It has been a while since I've worked with fabric so was a little overwhelmed at first. I googled for instructions and fortunately found the info to make it happen. I ended up encasing the pillow form in black wool felt and then tacked super soft, red velour on top. My working cloth under the bobbins is calico cotton. Eventually I'd like to make a zip-up pillow case with handles to fit the whole thing into when I'm not using it. I'm rather pleased with how it all turned out! So I passed the first test. Today I've been following the instruction book and working some simple samplers. I need to buy more bobbins tho- 12 is not enough! The sweetest thing about bobbin lace is that the bobbins are worked in pairs- like couples. I love the sound of the bobbins when they roll and click together.


These are my first bobbin lace pieces. They are supposed to be sorta funky b/c they are samplers. Once I get more bobbins I will try making a bookmark.









And in other related news, I brought home my State Fair Winners this week! Perhaps I can get some new items together in time for the County Fair this spring...

3 comments:

TattingChic said...

Oh, you're learning bobbin lace. Good for you. I'm still sitting on the fence about whether or not I want to learn.

Guzzisue said...

this stuff is addictive, I thought I was cured then I rejoined the local bobbin lace society two weeks ago after an abscence of 8 years..........Help !! :-)

CakesMix said...

Hi Guzzisue, bravo for rejoining! I'm getting more and more tempted to join our local lace guild too.